Dressing the 1:144 Scale Queen Anne is going to take some time.
I recently spent several hours on the fireplace. The largest portion of my time went into designing the tile — it had to print as an actual design, not a brown blob. I started with creating a fabulously intricate Moroccan-flavored tile. Printed at such a tiny scale, the details all melted together to create a solid brown tile. The final graphic is a much simplified and brightened design.
Doesn’t look right, does it? But it prints well.
For the fireplace construction, I was greatly inspired by Anna Carin’s fireplace tutorial. Because I wanted a natural wood finish, I used wood where Anna Carin used cardstock, but the build method is pretty much identical.
And just for fun…
Oh this poor little house! To date, the exterior of this waif has been three different colors. But finally, finally, the house has decided to be… dilapidated.
I’ve wanted to do a 1:144 “haunted house” for several years. And this house has been the one that has suffered my various ministrations trying to get it there. Before this last re-paint, the house was nearly black. And while that’s a good color for “haunted”, it wasn’t working for me.
Then I remembered the amazing work of Noel and Pat Thomas. They work in 1:12 scale and are known for their loving attention to worn finishes. So I spent some time at their blog and I spent a really long time looking at pictures of actual old houses.
And I decided that “nearly black” was the wrong way to go.
Now, the exterior is long from finished and this is a “dry build” (no glue involved, the walls are in their “proper places”, but not permanently so), but I’m pretty pleased with the direction it’s heading.
And no, the walls are not going to be that crooked in the final run. “Dry builds” tend to be crookedy.
I started making 1/144 scale fairy houses several years ago, but this is the very first one that I’ve made for a friend, so it’s a special one.
The underlying structure is a 1/144 scale gazebo kit from Northeastern Scale Models that, if built normally, would look something like the one pictured here.
But as a fairy house, it looks like this:
Most of the furniture is crafted from bits of scrap wood, though the bed posts are made from tooled toothpicks. And the “papasan-ish” chair is made from the smallest acorn cap I could find. The bed linens and table cover are made from dyed flower petals (snagged from a mix of dyed bits designed as inclusions in homemade paper). Here’s a look at the furniture before all the decorations go on (includes a dime for size comparison):
Another close-up of the bed and bedside table with flower petal lamp.
The landscaping is made from natural bits of dried plants, miniature landscaping materials (as used with dollhouses and toy trains), metal, no hole beads, and minerals (this piece has natural quartz crystals and slivers of kyanite (the blue glassy looking pieces)).
And that’s my fairy house for a very special friend (who really truly believes in fairies!).