As part of the design process, I decided to do a cardboard mock-up for Project Bluebird.
Partly because I needed to get a feel for 1:48, but mostly because the proportions of this house are so odd (completely unrealistic), I had to find a way to turn them into a livable space.
The exterior isn’t a big problem.
But the interior? Oy, the interior. The bottom of the windows (the ginormous windows) hits the 9′ mark on the wall. The door is ridiculously tall.
But, I made a lot of progress and I’m pretty satisfied with where it’s headed.
The furniture in the above picture is what is known in the dollhouse world as “BPF” (Brown Plastic Furniture). It’s really junky and kind of horrible.
But, it’s also cheap. And bashable. Here are some “bashing” tips from Wanna in El Paso (be sure to hit the “next” button at the bottom of the page for more examples of bashed BPF).
On the “cheap” part, the best price I found (including shipping) was from The Quarter Source.
I don’t plan to use BPF for all of the furniture in the house (e.g., I know for certain I’ll be building the bed from scratch), but it was great for checking available space and getting oriented to 1:48.
And I’ll certainly be using it for the bathroom (“yay” to not having to sculpt a tub).
While building this mock up was a bit time consuming, it was worth it. I made a multitude of design changes (and better to do that in scrap cardboard than “final product” building materials), got a better feel for 1:48 and figured out that I had space for both a bathroom and a kitchen (always a plus).
Project Hours: 52 (about half research and half design/build)