I still can’t tell you what I’m working on, but thought I’d share my latest skeleton upgrade. If you’ll recall, I’m working on a secret project that involves a skeleton. Well, I decided she had to be articulated — or else I was going to bend her bones and that just looks painful — and I was pleased to discover that it just wasn’t that hard to do.
For this project, I used my “go-to” glue (Aleen’s Quick Dry Tacky Glue), some 28-gauge wire, a craft knife, and a tiny hand drill.
UPDATE: Make that glue Zap-A-Gap (a CA glue). While getting her into final position, I managed to yoink off one of her hands. While attempting a repair, I ripped out her forearm. At which point I just pulled out her shoulder and repaired all the joints with Zap-A-Gap and they’re much stronger for it.
In place of the hand drill, you can use a straight pin/needle, but the hand drill makes it easier. If you like working small and don’t have one of these little drills, I have to tell you — I bought mine on a whim (it was probably on sale) and I use it all the time. It’s not one of my “have to have” tools, but it is one of my “I’m so glad I have this” tools.
A standard craft knife slices right through the elbow joint.
After slicing the elbow joint, I noticed the bright white of the original plastic — I stained the white spot to match the bone. Certainly don’t want any glaring white bits when the lady bends her arm.
Drilling the holes — I hope the different color paints on my fingers don’t give away too much about what I’m working on. 😀
I inserted wires (with a dab of glue) into the elbow joint and the wrist joint. After those had some time to dry, I inserted the other end of the wire into the corresponding body part (forearm and hand).
And, voilà! The articulated arm. This method isn’t sturdy enough to hold up to endless posings, but it’s perfect for my purpose.
My secret purpose.