Since this was my second Queen Anne Mansion, I not only wanted to furnish it, I wanted to experiment with a different paint scheme for the exterior.
Inspired by the book America’s Painted Ladies (a wonderful book with tons of pictures of houses with Victorian paint schemes), I decided on a cream base with pink and green trims. All of the window frames are double painted and additional bits of trim were added.
I also decided to shingle this house and was pleased with the N-Scale (1:160) shingles I found at Laserkit. Because “real size” shingles vary in size and and shape, there really isn’t an issue in the scale discrepancy (the dollhouse being 1:144).
I thought I was finished when I painted the wooden tower topper green. I was wrong. My husband (the former carpenter) informed me that the tower top should either be shingled or copper. Well, I thought the shingles would be “too much”, so I opted to take some thin copper sheeting and cover the tower top.
But first I found a chemical recipe to speed-up the patina process — I didn’t want bright shiny copper, but nice weathered copper. The recipe worked and within a few hours I had too much patina. I lightly sanded the piece to get it back to a “weathered, but not decrepit” look.
In the image below, the wee birds in the bird bath were carved from toothpicks — an experiment inspired by the carving work of micro-mini artist Frances Armstrong.
This miniature house is now in a private collection.
The furniture and accessories are a combination of scratch-built and painted mini-metal furnishings.